Job Category : Department for International Trade roles (DIT)
Job Subcategory : Department for International Trade (DIT)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities) :
The British Embassy in Ankara is part of a world-wide network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to hire a Trade Assistant, for the Department for International Trade (DIT) team.
Primarily the job involves liaison with Turkish government and industry, Turkish and British healthcare/life sciences/energy/railway companies and their in-country representatives, and assisting with planning for, and personal involvement in, official visits, events and relevant exhibitions.
DIT works to support companies based in the UK and their in-country representatives and partners overseas. Primarily the job involves providing support to the DIT team during their interactions with UK and Turkish industries and government. In particular the Ankara team focuses on supporting UK exports in the healthcare, life sciences, energy, education, infrastructure, defence & security sectors.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Support the day-to-day work of the healthcare, life sciences, energy and railway sectors within the DIT team. Supporting delivery of the campaigns and assisting with all reporting, and briefing requirements of the section. Thereby ensuring that all targets are met by the section;
- Help to establish, maintain and expand a wide range of high-level contacts in the relevant sectors of industry in Turkey. Working with those contacts and other sources of information to acquire knowledge of the key projects, opportunities and challenges for UK business. Liaising with UK companies and following up on enquiries, including through visits to local companies, supporting the production of chargeable reports for UK companies when commissioned via British Chamber of Commerce Turkey (BCCT);
- Ensure that all administrative tasks such as appraisals, expenditure claims and reports are completed in a timely way.
- Fluency in English and Turkish (both oral and written);
- The ability to work in a diverse, multicultural team where intense pressure and short deadlines are common;
- The ability to effectively support those representing UK interests in meetings with high level audiences.
- Some understanding of the Turkish healthcare, life sciences, energy and railway sectors and how these interact with government;
- Experience of campaigns, lobbying, public relations or similar roles in the public sector;
- Some knowledge of the relevant Turkish industries;
- Experience of working in an international environment either an embassy or multilateral organisation.
The monthly salary for this position is 1,447.61 USD gross A2 level. Please note that staff members are responsible for paying any income tax required by local law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Turkey. The British Embassy in Ankara does not sponsor for work permits.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check, security clearance and a probation period of 2 months.
Staff recruited locally by The British Embassy in Ankara is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Turkish employment law.
British Diplomatic Missions are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We are committed to developing a learning organisation that enhances business performance, maximises our staff’s potential and encourages staff innovation and development.